Thursday, August 29, 2013

Social Butterfly in August

August recap! I already covered the first seven days in my last post, but so much has happened since then! You've been warned.

Personal Life

Nemo and I posing with this
 guy in a cupcake dress
For one, I celebrated my friend Hubert's birthday by going to OC Pride during the day and then a club called Rage in West Hollywood later that night. OC Pride was did not meet my expectations. As a kid, my dad would let us watch the Pride parade in Long Beach. I grew up watching giant floats partying down Ocean Blvd, the streets lined with thousands of people, all cheering, some covered in glitter and rainbow beads. OC Pride was more like a small street fair, that my friends and I walked through in about an hour. We got lots of free goodies, though. And I even bought an elephant thong for my other friend as an early birthday gift. Rage, however, was pretty awesome! It was Lady Gaga night so someone out came out dressed as her and danced on stage for a bit. But the best part was the music that they were playing. Missy Elliot's Get Ur Freak On, Destiny's Child Bootylicious, Eve's Tambourine, Azealia Banks' 212, and Macklemore's Can't Hold Us. Along with Lil' Kim, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, and so much more that I danced and sweated my heart out to.
My friend Ethan with Macklemore
 written on his card
Courtney's birthday 
Not long after that, my parents left town for a couple days, and I decided to have a small kickback with whoever could make it on a short notice. It wasn't anything too crazy or wild, but I like those kinds of nights. We just sat around my kitchen table and played what we call the Inglorious Bastards Game. We all took the opportunity to humiliate each other. For example, I'm the only feminist in my group of friends, so they thought it'd be funny to have my first card be 'Brothel' (we did people, places, and things to make it harder) which I got pretty easily...but on my next turn I was "Elizabeth Cady Stanton" and I couldn't get that one for the life of me! Everyone shamed me for being a bad feminist. *Hangs my head* No one has let me forget that either. I highly suggest you play it with your friends one night it's a lot of fun.
My friend Stephanie is house-sitting for four months (weird I know) and she has been given the permission by the owners to throw kickbacks and parties there! So it was Courtney's birthday and most of us hadn't seen her since she left for school last summer, so we decided to celebrate before she left to New Jersey that week. I didn't drink this entire month because I am everyone's designated driver, but it's funny to see your drunk friends hit pinatas filled with Twinkies, swishers, and blue Jello, or play dizzy bat (link here to show you how fucking hilarious dizzy bat is) and fall on the ground. Also being the only sober one and swinging a bat through the middle of a serious beer pong game is the funniest thing ever. I eventually took over when it was one cup on the opponent's side and one cup on my side-and guess who scored on her first try! Yeah, be impressed. We also celebrated Nemo's birthday and it's another friend's birthday today, Mike.
Mike making a masterpiece at Corky's Diner
Colet and Stephanie celebrating Nemo's birthday
Are you ready for the best news? Are you? Okay, the best thing that happened this month was Sabrina coming back from Europe! We spent an entire day together, having her show me all the beautiful pictures she took, I showed her the miracle that is Cookie Butter and Nutella sandwiches, and later that week we watched When Harry Met Sally and experimented with make up. We were supposed to see Icona Pop on Tuesday but it got cancelled last second. I'm kind of relieved because it's nice to spend the day in with my Wheezy. It's so weird to have a friend that I can spend hours with, and we don't even do anything significantly special. With everyone else I feel like I have to go out and force ourselves to have fun or else they'll be bummed. With Sabrina, we just go over to each other's houses and just...sort of bask in the company of each other. And it's great. And I missed her. So that was nice.

Lately, since the Fall semester started on the 19th and I'm taking art classes with more interesting people, I decided to play with my style a bit. By this I mean I've been actually trying when it came to dressing for class. I bought a couple of shirt online, one has already come in and I wear it as much as I can. It's my Sailor Moon shirt from Hot Topic. I saw Ceedling wearing it in one of her latest videos about Feminist Masculinity. And the other I just bought yesterday so the internet gods have not sent it through the mail yet. It's a shirt with Jesus saying "Thou shalt not kill my vibe" I'm so into saints, Christianity, religious art, and just anything with mythology, especially when there's a modern twist to it. So this is definitely gonna be a favorite. 

I'm going to follow up this post with the Music, and Movies that I've seen in August next! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment