Thursday, October 3, 2013

Max Normal

It's late at night. And I've literally been listening to Max Normal over and over again for hours. So I'm just going to put a handful of songs that you should check out. I am sleep deprived, just thought I should let you know.

Tik Tik Tik
Yes, I have mentioned this in another post. Don't care. This song is brilliant. It's mostly Yolandi. And the song is about two options, a single decision. The first verse is about how hard Yolandi's life is, the second is about a man who convinces her to sell drugs and her life spirals down, she asks to rewind. Then the next verse is like a rewind in time and she's faced with the drug dealer again and chooses to ignore him and collaborate with Max Normal instead. Fucking brilliant.
"Diamonds are created from extreme pressure"


Whenever You Ready
I love how soft and mellow this is, I wouldn't expect it to come from the same person who made Fok Julle Naaiers.



The Organ Grinder
This is probably my favorite song at the moment from Ninja/Max Normal/Waddy Jones etc. The creepy vibes are so perfect for this month, I love this so much I can't even. It's so easy when the chorus hits to just imagine some monster that haunts children.



Ripples In The Mesh
People have said that I like a lot of 'stoner' music. After enjoying this twenty seven minute story, I understood what they meant. I love Yolandi's little rap about her character Anica who wants to be an a rapper too. So creepy, so good. Shit goddamn. It's an entire story, and it makes me appreciate Yolandi and Max Normal/Ninja/Waddy Jones' acting skills. Which is something I never even thought about until now. 



Punch My Teeth Out
When I listen to shit like this constantly, I get a little angry that Max Normal didn't blow the fuck up when it did. This song is fucking amazing! I guess the timing and publicity was off for them, but oh my god please listen to this. 



Rap Fantasy
This is brilliant. I love the intro with Yolandi's incredibly strong accent, and the beat is so different, just because of the little clicking noises through out the song. And the chorus is so--I don't like using this word but--epic! I love singing it as loud as I can when I'm driving and I feel like a super hero or an eighties rock star.


Rap Made Easy
I have never heard a song like this. Literally 'teaching' you how to rap. It's genius! To quote one of the top comments of this video from Youtube user Joe Brennan: "wow, I always love Die Antwoord, but in a weird kind of way, but after discovering Max Normal, I kind of realize the genius behind it...I think everyone who is not sure (about) where they stand on Die Antwoord needs to hear all their stuff and they will be able to understand it easier." Very well put. Listening to Max Normal definitely fulfilled my Die Antwoord cravings after I thought I had heard everything from them. And I appreciate them, like, a thousand times more than before.


Too Cold To Hold
This was the first song that I heard from Max Normal and it's probably still on my top five favorites from them. My favorite lyrics are "Tomorrow/ I think I'll hang out with myself again/ Maybe even sport someone else's skin/ So if you hear some other cat kickin' my rhymes/ Just remember that his intestines might just be mine/ Cause anyone of these 6 billion civilians could very well be this reptilian/ No matter how resilient or brilliant you think you are/ If I decide that I need a new host/ Somebody's pretty little shell's gonna get a new ghost."
Do you realize how amazing that is?! I love his whole "documentary fiction" and his belief and ability to just regenerate (Doctor Who reference) completely and this is some creepy fore telling of Ninja.



No comments:

Post a Comment