Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Answer: Die Antwoord

In late 2011/early 2012 I found a video that filled me with disgust, curiosity, and amazement. The video was I Fink You Freeky by Die Antwoord. It was filled with dirty, unusual, scowling faces, crude drawings on the walls and clothing of the artists. It was dark, scary, and creepy. The music was a heavy techno beat throughout the whole song until the second verse where it slowly builds up and the beat drops like a dubstep song would. The artists were rapping in both English and Afrikaans, and it was hard to tell which was which at some points. I loved it. I watched it over hundreds of times, showed all my friends. It soon became the go-to song we would all play when we got together. Listening to I Fink You Freeky now just reminds me of the late nights in the parking lot with my friends, or driving a hundred miles an hour down an empty suburban street with the windows down.

Ninja
Die Antwoord is made up of the rap duo Ninja and Yolandi Vi$$er. I think what drew me to them was not only their amazing music, but all the question that I had about them: How old is Yolandi? Who is Ninja? Are they married? Related? Where are they from? WHAT! They have a daughter together?! The list honestly went on forever. The more I researched them, the more I respected them and their music. I love performers that take on characters to the point where they don't even know where their personal self begins and their character ends. Ninja described what he does once as "documentary fiction" and he believes that he can bend his own reality however he wants. The two both are tatted with Die Antwoord album names, their own lyrics, and little pictures that symbolize their songs (like Evil Boy-a cartoon of a little boy holding a HUGE penis, based off of the song Evil Boy and the toys that they sell). I don't know, I just admire the dedication. They are basically living art.
One of the first videos that I watched was called Zef Side, a short video that introduces Ninja, Yolandi, and DJ Hi-tek. It's odd that the actor/DJ/performer always changes but they always introduce him as DJ Hi-tek. Their reasoning is that he's actually very shy and has a speech impediment, but its very obvious that its just an imaginary faceless character which I like a whole lot better. They really play on the 'foreign' style. They introduce South African slang like zef (South African swag basically), or chappies (prison tattoos one does to themselves). They are seen hanging out in a poor neighborhood, explaining how Dj Hi-Tek "has a PC computer" and put their music "all up on da interwebz" with their heavy South African accents.

Yolandi Visser in the Max Normal Days
After listening to almost every Die Antwoord song, I found myself clicking on related youtube videos from their former project Max Normal TV. It's amazing to see the difference between Max Normal and Ninja, but I found myself picking up reused lyrics and beats like "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs sure like me!" in the Die Antwoord song So What (which is fucking amazing) was actually taken from the chorus of the Max Normal song Tik Tik Tik (which is also fucking amazing). Die Antwoord is definitely has a more appealing mainstream beat-and much more graphic lyrics-whereas Max Normal TV was about being on an enlightened level of originality. The phrase 'be a creator, not a parasite' is one of the main ideas of Max Normal TV. Seriously just go watch this documentary about his career, it'll make you appreciate him so much.
If you go back even further you can find out that Ninja also went by his real name Watkin "Waddy" Tudor Jones and made not only rap music but, like, seriously beautiful soft shit. Like Moon Love, which features their daughter Sixteen. Or this smooth jazz-ish song Shaboom. Seriously this man has had like nine lives and rocked every single one of them.
These days, however, they have blown UP. Now they do collaborations with Alexander Wang, Versace has taken a liking to Yolandi's haircut, they had an ongoing 'feud' with Lady Gaga that ended with a drag queen getting dress in her infamous meat dress getting eaten by a lion in the Fatty Boom Boom music video, collaborating with artist Roger Ballen, and even doing a short film with Harmony Korine (directed Spring Breakers).
PLAYLIST GO LISTEN HERE YOU GO YUP

No comments:

Post a Comment